Love Korean food? Try out the best Korean Instant Jajangmyeon from the comfort of your home!
Korean Jajangmyeon is comfort food. The delicious black bean sauce in generous portions brings me memories of all things good. It’s not always possible to make this from scratch and well, there are those days when I crave for jajangmyeon and want it right away.
- Related: Best Korean Instant Ramen Noodles
Unfortunately, there aren’t many instant jajangmyeon brands out there but I have tested them all to bring you the reviews of the Best Korean Instant Jajangmyeon, so, enjoy!
Which is the best Korean instant jajangmyeon?
We tried several Korean instant jajangmyeon brands to find the most authentic one based on flavor, aroma, ease of cooking, and noodles. I found Paldo’s Jjajanmen Chajang noodles to be the best Korean instant jajangmyeon.
Paldo’s Jjajanmen Chajang noodles have an amazing flavor and aroma, just like the authentic Korean jajangmyeon. It has thick and chewy noodles completely coated with generous amounts of spicy-sweet sauce. The sauce is cooked on an open fire with meat and vegetables which elevates the taste of these noodles.
Does Chapagetti taste like Jajangmyeon?
Chapagetti resembles very closely and tastes a lot like Jajangmyeon. It has a deep salty, spicy and sweet flavour.
Does Jajangmyeon taste good?
Jajangmyeon is one of those dishes that every Korean grew up eating and loves the taste. The base is formed with noodles that are thick and chewy, with a generous serving of salty, savoury, yet mildly sweet black bean sauce. Many add vegetables and meat to bulk up the noodles so it can be eaten as a meal rather than a snack.
Top Korean Instant Jajangmyeon
|Best Korean Instant Jajangmyeon||Link|
|Ottogi Jjajangmyeon||View On Amazon|
|Paldo Fun & Yum Jjajangmen Instant Noodles||View On Amazon|
|Paldo Jjajangmen Chajang Noodle||View On Amazon|
|Nongshim Chapagetti Noodle||View On Amazon|
|Nongshim Zha Wang Ramen Noodle||View On Amazon|
|Samyang Jjajang Buldak Spicy Black Bean Roasted Chicken Ramen Noodle||View On Amazon|
The first one on this list of best Korean instant jajangmyeon is the Ottogi Jjajangmyeon.
Ottogi’s Jjajangmyeon is one of the most authentic and traditional tasting instant jajangmyeon I have had till date. I always have a stock of this in my pantry for those evenings I crave for this dish. What makes this taste so real is the texture of the noodles.
Ottogi has managed to nail it with the “just perfect” chewy texture that holds up well when mixed with the rich black bean sauce. The sauce is not too spicy and is a great option for those who like things a bit mild. My tip – add some veggies and make this a wholesome meal.
- Authentic tasting jajangmyeon
- Has thick noodles that are chewy
- Sauce is rich and tasty with sweet and spicy tones
- Sauce has dehydrated vegetables in it
- Mildly spicy, ideal for children
- Can be easily customised by adding more vegetables or meat
Check out the
Check out the best Korean instant jajangmyeon by ottagi below!
Paldo Fun & Yum Jjajangmen Instant Noodles
Paldo jajangmyeon is a very popular brand in Korea and has managed to make its way to the West as well. Paldo has a lot of flavours and types of instant noodles in its range, and has a wonderful tasting instant jajangmyeon.
This is one of my go-to dishes more often than I wish to admit. In general, Paldo has generous amounts of sauces to go with the instant noodles which heighten the experience, and that is true in the Fun & Yum Jjajangmen Instant Noodles as well.
- Thick and chewy noodles forms the base
- Spicy and savoury sauce
- Sauce is plenty in quantity to coat the noodles completely
- Authentic jajanmyeon taste in the sauce
- Generous amounts of sauce
Check out the best Korean instant jajangmyeon by Paldo below!
Paldo Jjajangmen Chajang Noodle
This is the other amazingly yum instant jajangmyeon from Paldo. What sets this apart is the sauce that is cooked in the traditional method, over an open fire.
It has dehydrated meat and vegetables and the generous thick sauce over the chewy noodles is absolute heaven! Add more chunks of meat and veggies to bulk up the noodles and make a sumptuous meal out of it.
- Has chewy noodles that require only about 3 minutes to cook
- The sauce is cooked over an open fire with meat and veggies which gives it the delicious taste
- Has dehydrated veggies and meat
- Can be customised by adding more meat and veggies of your choice
- The sauce that is cooked traditionally lends the authentic flavour to this dish
Check out this best Korean instant Jajangmyeon below!
Nongshim Chapagetti Noodle
Ok, so Chapagetti may not be exactly Jajangmyeon, but I had to put it on this list for how tasty and satisfying these noodles are. Chapagetti is popular across Korea and loved by many youngsters.
Nongshim’s Chapagetti Noodles are a mix of traditional jajagmyeon and spaghetti-like noodles. It cooks up very quickly and I can have a ready meal in about 4 to 5 minutes.
It comes with dehydrated vegetables which add a lot of flavour to this dish. I do eat quite a lot of this without guilt as they don’t contain MSG.
- Has spaghetti-like noodles as the base
- Sauce is traditional, thick jajangmyeon
- Sauce is spicy and savoury with hints of sweetness
- Contains dehydrated vegetables like carrots and onions in the sauce
- No MSG in the ingredients
Check out the best Korean instant jajangmyeon by Nongshim below!
Nongshim Zha Wang Ramen Noodle
The sauce in Nongshim’s Zha Wang Ramen Noodles really stands out because of the kelp powder added. It gives it a delicious savoury flavour that is as close to authentic jajangmyeon as it can get.
There is an extra sauce that is a blend of oil, garlic and green onions which also adds to the flavour. The noodles are not very thick but they surprisingly stay chewy enough when the sauce is added.
I also love the fact that this has plenty of dehydrated vegetables and I can add some more if I want to.
- Has noodles that are firm and chewy
- Sauce contains kelp powder which makes it savoury
- Has an additional oil which has garlic and green onions
- Contains dehydrated vegetables
- Tastes almost like authentic jajangmyeon
Check out the best Korean instant jajangmyeon by Ningshim below!
Samyang Jjajang Buldak Spicy Black Bean Roasted Chicken Ramen Noodle
Samyang jajangmyeon is another leading company that manufactures instant noodles in Korea and is imported into other countries.
The Jjajang Buldak Roasted Chicken noodles come with a separate spice pack that is helpful in adjusting the heat of the dish.
This, I believe is great as some people might stay away from the dish if it’s too hot and miss out on the amazing roasted chicken flavour with the rich bean sauce.
- Noodles are thick and chewy
- Sauce tastes traditional and authentic
- Comes with a separate spice pack which helps you adjust the level of spice in the dish
- Has a delicious chicken flavour
- Can add more vegetables to the dish if preferred
- Has spice levels that can be customised
Check out the best Korean instant jajangmyeon by Samyang!
What does instant Jajangmyeon taste like?
Instant Jajangmyeon has to taste as authentic as the real deal. The sauce has to have a spicy, yet sweet taste and the noodles must be just the right texture – not mushy, but a little chewy. This is achieved by using slightly thicker noodles. The spice level depends on different brands, so you can choose what you prefer.
How do you cook Jajangmyeon instantly?
Like any instant food, Jajangmyeon should be ready in about 2 to 5 minutes. Anything longer and it’s not considered “instant”. You can either cook instant Jajangmyeon on the stove top or in the microwave. Boil the noodles and drain the water, leaving back just a couple of spoonfuls to help the sauce coat the noodles.
Things to Know Before Buying an Instant Jajangmyeon
– First and foremost, if you want authentic tasting Jajangmyeon, buy a well known brand. You can choose from my list below
– Like all instant food, some instant Jajangmyeon can also have harmful ingredients and a lot of fat. So check the ingredients carefully before buying
– As delicious as jajangmyeon is, it is made from ingredients like lard, cornstarch and chicken stock, apart from black bean paste. Eating too much of this can cause weight gain, so eat in moderation
– There are many different flavours. Choose one that you prefer. Or, as I did, you can try all of them and then decide which one you enjoy the most!
– Korean food is spicy, and so is jajangmyeon. Check the pack for spice levels and choose one that you know you can handle
Instant Jajangmyeon Black Bean Noodle Buyer’s Guide
Here are some tips you can follow before you buy instant jajangmyeon noodles:
Type of Noodles: Instant jajangmyeon comes in different sizes. Usually, thicker noodles hold up better when boiled and stay a bit chewy, whereas the thinner ones could get mushy. I prefer the former as they are closer to authentic jajangmyeon
Cooking Time: If you are choosing instant noodles, you shouldn’t be in the kitchen for more than 10 minutes. Choose noodles that are quick to prepare. Of course, you can add more fresh vegetables or meat which can increase the cooking time, but overall, not over 20 minutes
Pack size: I like to eat jajangmyeon that fills me up and doesn’t leave me hunting for another snack. Choose a size that makes sufficient quantity
Spice Levels: This is very important, in fact, one of the most important things you must consider. Though the black bean sauce is mildly sweet, it can also be very spicy. So, only buy what you can handle
Unnecessary ingredients: We eat to stay healthy, so ensure that you are buying instant jajangmyeon that does not have unnecessary added ingredients that can harm your health
Taste: Obviously, you want noodles that taste just like the real thing. Choose instant jajangmyeon from my researched list below for getting the most authentic tasting noodles.
My goal is to showcase the creativity and awesomeness of Korea and Korean products. I’m the head writer at bestkoreanproducts.com!