Korean gel sunscreens are lightweight and absorb quickly which makes it perfect for most skin types, especially oily skin type. Here’s the tried and tested best Korean gel sunscreen for you!
Sunscreen is something every dermatologist stresses that you wear, and I agree. But if you have oily skin, regular sunscreens can cause a lot of issues.
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen: Quick Summary
|Best Korean Gel Sunscreen||Best For||SPF / PA Rating|
|MAKEP:REM UV Defense Me Blue Ray Sun Gel||OIly, acne, Combination, Dry, and Mature skin||SPF50+ PA ++++|
|IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel||Combination skin||SPF50+ PA++++|
|Biore Uv Aqua Rich Watery Gel||Combination skin||SPF50+ PA++++|
|Julep No Excuses Invisible Facial Sunscreen Gel||Face||SPF40|
The sunscreen creams and lotions available in the market are so greasy and sticky, some leave a white cast and most make the skin so oily that it isn’t something that we desire much. It’s even worse for oily or acne-prone skin because they might end up clogging the pores and cause more breakouts.
- Related: Best Korean UV Protection
- Related: Best Korean Zinc Sunscreens
- Related: Best Korean Sunscreen for Body
This is where Korean Gel sunscreens are a huge boon! Korean gel sunscreens have a gel-like consistency that is light on the skin and solves all of those issues I mentioned earlier.
What is Gel Sunscreen?
Sunscreen can come in many forms – lotions, creams, mousse, stick, spray, gel and more. These are vehicles for the actual SPF and you can choose what “vehicle” you want depending on your need, skin type and convenience.
Gel sunscreens contain SPF in the form of a gel, as you can guess from the name. Gels are bouncier and lighter when compared to creams or lotions.
Why to use gel sunscreen for oily skin?
Oily skin deals with large pores and excessive sebum production leading to that shine on the face within a few hours after washing the face. Applying cream or lotion sunscreens can contribute to this.
They could also end up clogging the pores leading to pimples and blackheads. This is one of the primary reason why many people with oily skin skip the sunscreen.
Gel sunscreens have large molecules and are more water based than oil based. These dry leaving a matte finish on the skin. They provide hydration without clogging up the pores. Gel sunscreens are therefore amazing for those with combination skin and more so for oily skin.
Related: Skin prone to acne? Here are selected best Korean sunscreen for acne prone skin
How we tested the best Korean gel sunscreen?
Our team of skincare experts at Best Korean Products tested and rated the Korean gel sunscreens based on 5 parameters:
- UV protection power
- Skin sensitivity
After rating the selected Korean gel sunscreens based on these parameters, we found that IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel is the best Korean gel sunscreen.
Which is the best Korean gel sunscreen?
Based on our tests and ratings we found that IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel is the best Korean gel sunscreen. And here’s why:
IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel Korean gel sunscreen offers SPF50+ and PA++++, proving maximum sun protection from both UVA and UVB rays. The lightweight formula of this Korean gel sunscreen is easy on the skin and absorbs quickly. IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel is formulated with skin nourishing ingredients. After application, this Korean gel sunscreen leaves the skin hydrated, nourished, and smooth.
Read on for the reviews of the Best Korean Gel Sunscreens:
Top Korean Gel Sunscreen
ISNTREE Hyaluronic Acid Watery Sun Gel
Isntree hyaluronic acid watery gel sunscreen will be your new favourite product for it’s lightweight consistency and moisturizing. I have dry skin and this Korean gel sunscreen is just perfect for me. It contains 50 SPF PA++++ that helps in blocking the harmful UVA/UVB.
I love how quickly it gets absorbed in the skin, relieves inflammation and increases skin’s elasticity. It also consists of 8 types of hyaluronic acid that protect the skin from dry air when you’re sitting in an AC room. You’ll love the dewy effect it gives to your skin.
The best part is that this Isntree gel sunscreen doesn’t leave behind a white cast. You might find it a little expensive, but it’s value for money.
- Effective ingredients
- 50+ SPF PA++++
- Relives skin inflammation
- Protects from dry air
- Dewy effect
- Suitable for dry skin
- No white cast
- Not for oily or combination skin types
- Ingredients: 8.5/10
- Efficacy: 9.5/10
- Affordability: 8/10
Related: Are Korean Sunscreens Safe?
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen for Oily and Acne-prone Skin
One of the most sunscreens I highly recommend you try if you have ageing or oily and acne prone skin is the UV Defense Me Blue Ray Sun Gel by MAKEP:REM.
This is a sunscreen gel that actually reduces the temperature of your skin, cooling and soothing your skin! It contains about 68% moisture levels to hydrate your skin.
It includes the stem cells of Rubus Arcticus as one of the main ingredients to heal the skin and improve its texture.
The effect is something you can feel almost instantly as your skin feels soft, rich and healthy.
This gel sunscreen comes with a high SPF of 50+ and a PA++++ rating to give your skin maximum protection from the sun’s harsh rays and heat.
Check out the best Korean gel sunscreen by MAKEP:RM
- Cooling effect on skin
- 50+ SPF PA++++
- relieves skin inflammation
- Suits all skin
- Improves skin texture
- No white cast
- No value for money
- Ingredients: 9.5/10
- Efficacy: 9/10
- Affordability: 7/10
Related: Can’t find the right sunscreen for oily skin? Here’s the best Korean sunscreen for oily skin
IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen for Combination Skin
I’m always constantly on the lookout for a sunscreen that hydrates yet does not make my skin feel greasy and oily. IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel is the perfect product that balances both.
This is one of those lightweight gels that gets absorbed quickly, is easy to spread and does not make my skin feel tight or parched. In fact, my skin feels nourished after using this.
The IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel has sun plant complex ingredients that offer an SPF of 50+ and PA++++ for optimum protection from both UVA and UVB rays.
There is a very mild scent but one that is not irritating. Many with sensitive skin find that this sunscreen does not break them out or cause rashes.
Check out the best Korean gel sunscreen by IPKN below!
Related: Dry skin? Check out these Korean sunscreens for dry skin to find your pick!
Biore Uv Aqua Rich Watery Gel
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen for Oily Skin
The Biore Uv Aqua Rich Watery Gel is a wonderfully hydrating sunscreen, ideal for oily and acne prone skin. This is also something you should choose if you swim, exercise or spend a lot of times outdoors sweating profusely, as it is water resistant for upto 80 minutes.
This sunscreen contains hyaluronic acid, royal jelly extract and purpuru water capsules as their primary ingredients. These ingredients moisturise the skin and keep the skin well hydrated all day long.
This has a consistency that is easy to spread, feels super light on the skin and gets absorbed in a jiffy, so none of that thick white cast that many sunscreens leave.
It is safe for sensitive and acne-prone skin as this does not contain added colors and is non-comedogenic.
Biore has an APF rating of 50+ and a PA++++ for good protection from the sun.
Check out the best Korean gel sunscreen by Biore below!
Julep No Excuses Invisible Facial Sunscreen Gel
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen for Face
One of the most annoying things you need to deal with if you have oily skin is the layering of the moisturiser plus the sunscreen. Julep gets rid of that with a moisturising sunscreen with the No Excuses Invisible Facial Sunscreen Gel.
This sunscreen contains and SPF of 40 for sun protection, along with ingredients like rosehip seed oil, melon extract, camelia seed oil and Jeju island love plant.
These ingredients hydrate and moisturise the skin, form a protective barrier, contain antioxidants to fight signs of ageing, and even encourage the production of collagen.
As a result, you have a product that takes care of your skin end to end!
Check out the best Korean gel sunscreen by Julep below!
Best Korean Gel Sunscreen: FAQs
What are benefits of Korean gel sunscreen for oily skin
Gel sunscreen has plenty of benefits, not limited to just leaving the skin with a matte finish:
- Non-Comedogenic: Gel sunscreens do not clog the pores, so it prevents your skin from breaking out
- Water-Based: Gel sunscreens are water-based and very light on the skin. They don’t leave the tell tale heavy and oily signs of traditional sunscreens
- Non-Sticky: Again, because these sunscreens are water-based and light weight, you don’t have that icky sticky feeling left by regular cream or lotion sunscreens. It also works on controlling the excess sebum produced, so that’s a win-win!
- They are great for wearing under make-up as their texture and consistency is light
- Hydration: Even oily skin needs hydration but without oiliness. Gel sunscreens give just that
- Gel sunscreens spread well and get absorbed very quickly, so you can move on to the next step in your makeup routine
How to choose a Korean Gel sunscreen?
Choose a Korean gel sunscreen based on the amount of sun exposure you generally have. When it comes to sunscreens higher SPFs are always better but if you only spend a few minutes in the sun every day you could choose one with a lower SPF and PA rating.
Korean gel sunscreens also include a lot of ingredients that contribute to tackling skin issues like blemishes, dehydration and acne. You could pick a sunscreen with specific ingredients so that as your skin is being protected, it can also get healthier.
What to look for in a Korean Gel sunscreen?
- SPF rating: Just as you would look for in any sunscreen, before choosing a Korean gel sunscreen, make sure it has the SPF rating you need. A good SPF rating is something over 30. If you live in a place where the sun is very harsh or if you spend a lot of time outdoors, it is best to pick a sunscreen that has at least SPF 40 or more
- Broad Spectrum: Most Korean gel sunscreens come with broad spectrum protection, so that your skin is protected from both the UVA as well as UVB rays. Read the label to ensure this
- Ingredients: Read the ingredients list carefully and make sure that the sunscreen does not have any commonly known irritants like denatured alcohol or excessive fragrances
How to apply gel sunscreen for better results?
Apply gel sunscreen the way you would apply any other form of sunscreen – adequate quantities at the right time and at regular intervals.
- How much to apply: Dermatologists and experts advise that for the specified SPF to be effective in protecting your skin, you need at least 2 teaspoons per square cm of your skin. Now, that sounds like quite a lot and it is, but if you apply any lesser than that, you aren’t going to reap the full benefits of your sunscreen. Applying a cream or lotion in that quantity can actually leave your skin feeling very sticky but gel sunscreens don’t. A standard thumb rule is to squeeze out enough sunscreen to run a strip along your index finger and middle finger. This should be sufficient for your face and neck. Massage this into your skin and wait for it to be absorbed.
- When to apply: Sunscreen should always be the last step in your skincare routine. After you have applied moisturiser, leave your skin to absorb it for about 20 minutes. Apply your sunscreen and wait for another 20 minutes for it to kick into action before you step out into the sun. You can apply your makeup over the gel sunscreen
- When to reapply: Re-apply your gel sunscreen every 90 minutes to 2 hours from the time of your previous application. If you’re out in the hot sun and are sweating, re-apply every 80 minutes. If you’ve been swimming or have been working out with excessive sweating, apply even more frequently.
Sun damage is the worst and every skin type or colour is prone to it. Sun damage can have immediate short term effects that can be treated quickly and long term effects as well that are very difficult to be reversed.
My goal is to showcase the creativity and awesomeness of Korea and Korean products. I’m the head writer at bestkoreanproducts.com!
IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel
Check out the best Korean gel sunscreen below. Our favorite is the IPKN Lite Daily Sun Gel. Read the detailed reviews of top Korean gel sunscreens here!
Product SKU: 99855566JHJ4441144
Product Brand: IPKN
Product Currency: USD
Product Price: 20.45
Price Valid Until: 2022
Product In-Stock: InStock